Post-BSN Certificate – Nursing Education
Post-BSN Certificate – Nursing Education
Earn your Post-BSN certificate in Nursing Education and take the next step in your nursing career.
Messiah University offers a post-BSN certificate for nurses who wish to advance their career as nurse educators. Our graduate certificate will prepare you to lead and teach in a variety of clinical settings.
Post-BSN Certificate – Nursing Education overview
Messiah University’s online post-BSN Certificate in Nursing Education provides an option for graduates working in or aspiring to work in nurse educator roles in clinical practice to gain expertise through a combination of clinical fieldwork and graduate nursing courses in nursing education. Our certificate can help prepare you to pursue an MSN degree.
- 12 credits
- Includes clinical experiences
- Course credits can be applied toward Messiah’s MSN degree
- Online coursework
- No-fee tuition
- No application fee
- Completion in three semesters
- Medical Assistant
- LPN Instructors
- Associate degree: classroom and clinical teaching
- Staff Development Instructor
- Unit Nurse Educator
Messiah University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education. It is the highest accrediting authority recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for degree-granting colleges and universities located in Pennsylvania, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and several other locations internationally.
Post-BSN Certificate – Nursing Education courses & curriculum
The curriculum for the post-BSN certificate in nursing education is designed for busy professionals and includes both theory and clinical experiences.
Nursing Education (Post-BSN) Certificate of Graduate Studies (12 Credits)
The post-Baccalaureate in Nursing (BSN) Certificate – Nursing Education will provide an option for post-BSN graduates who work in nurse educator roles in the practice environment. This 12-credit certificate will contribute to progression on organizational career ladders and facilitate preparation for future MSN education. The courses taken for this program can be applied to the MSN Nurse Educator track.
Complete the following:
This course provides an introduction to health informatics in healthcare environments. An inter-professional approach is used for students to explore the use of health informatics for practice, administration, health policy, and education areas of healthcare. Emphasis is placed on the selection and use of healthcare information systems to promote quality and safety in healthcare.
NURS 500 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the critical appraisal of nursing research and methods of inquiry to guide evidence-based practice. Emphasis is placed on the skills and knowledge needed to critically appraise and determine the strength of evidence available to inform issues of current nursing practice and education.
NURS 502 / 3 Credits
The focus of this course is on professional role development of the nurse educator. Philosophical foundations of nursing education as well as learning theories and instructional methods are introduced. A review of conceptual models and theories of nursing also is presented. Emphasis for the clinical component of the course is placed on knowledge and skills needed for teaching in higher education and clinical practice settings.
NURS 520 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the concepts of measurement and evaluation in nursing. Emphasis is placed on topics of test construction, item analysis, clinical performance evaluation, course evaluation, and program evaluation. Standards for program evaluation for program accreditation as well as legal and ethical issues related to evaluation also will be discussed.
NURS 522 / 3 Credits
Post-BSN Certificate – Nursing Education tuition cost
Know what you are paying for with Messiah’s no-fee tuition. With our graduate programs, the cost per credit is what you pay – there are no hidden fees for labs, courses, services or technology. We put the true cost of your program upfront so that you can accurately compare and plan for your graduate education. Please note: There are additional costs to the program not billed through Messiah University (background checks, clearances, course materials, clinical expenses, etc.).
2022-2023 tuition per graduate credit hour: $735
Tuition cost for the entire 12 credit-hour certificate at the 2022-2023 rate: $8,820
Next steps for admissions
Applying for admission to a graduate program at Messiah University is the first step to making your personal and professional goals a reality.
- Bachelor’s degree from an ACEN, CCNE, or CNEA accredited program (or equivalent) and an institution that is regionally accredited by one of the following: Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Western and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Completed application
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Official transcripts indicating the degree earned
- Personal Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation from professionals in the healthcare field
- Minimum one year recent professional nursing practice
- Unencumbered licensure as a Registered Nurse (United States and territories)
- Proficiency with basic computer operations (download, upload, email, website navigation), Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and PDF files.
Early summer: May 15th
Late summer: July 3rd
Early fall: August 21st
Late fall: October 23rd
Before completing an application for any of Messiah University’s graduate & certificate programs, please read our Admissions Requirements to ensure that you are eligible for enrollment and to receive a helpful checklist of the supporting documentation that you will need to provide to complete your application. Questions regarding the application process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New to Messiah University
First-time users will need to create an account to start a new application.
Returning users can log in to continue their pre-existing application.
Flexible. Respected. Faith-based.
What makes our post-BSN certificates unique?
- The academic distinction of a nationally ranked, accredited Christian university
- Messiah University nursing graduates are well respected and in demand
- Nursing faculty are experienced Christian educators, nursing professionals and accomplished scholars who mentor you in your education, faith and career
- Deferred payment options are available
- One or two year completion