CAGS – Nursing Education
CAGS – Nursing Education
Earn your CAGS in Nursing Education and advance your nursing career.
For nurses who already hold an advanced degree and wish to pursue a career as a nurse educator, Messiah University offers a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) in Nursing Education. Our CAGS will prepare you to lead and teach in a variety of educational and clinical settings.
CAGS – Nursing Education overview
Messiah University offers a Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) in nursing education designed for registered nurses who hold an advanced degree in nursing (MSN, DNP, or Ph.D.) without a nurse educator focus. Students may add the CAGS to our Doctor of Nursing Practice program. You will be prepared to take the National League for Nursing (NLN) Certified Nurse Educator exam after meeting the eligibility requirements.
- 12 credits
- Includes clinical experiences
- Online coursework
- No-fee tuition
- No application fee
- Clinical nurse educator
- Undergraduate nursing education teacher
- Clinical or classroom nursing instructor
Messiah University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education. It is the highest accrediting authority recognized by the U.S. Department of Education for degree-granting colleges and universities located in Pennsylvania, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and several other locations internationally.
CAGS – Nursing Education courses & curriculum
The curriculum for the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) in nursing education is designed for busy professionals and includes both theory and clinical experiences.
Nurse Educator Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (12 credits)
The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies (CAGS) in nursing education designed for registered nurses who hold an advanced degree in nursing (MSN, DNP, or Ph.D.) without a nurse educator focus. This 12-credit certificate consists of both theory and clinical experiences. Those who complete this certificate program will be prepared to take the National League for Nursing (NLN) Certified Nurse Educator exam after meeting the eligibility requirements.
Complete the following:
This course focuses on the development of an in-depth understanding of curriculum design principles. Emphasis is placed on the analysis of curricular components including teaching/learning philosophies, mission statements, program goals, learning objectives, individual course competencies, and teaching plans. Standards and regulations influencing nursing education programs and curriculum development also are analyzed.
NURS 521 / 3 Credits
This course focuses on the concepts of measurement and evaluation in nursing. Emphasis is placed on topics of test construction, item analysis, clinical performance evaluation, course evaluation, and program evaluation. Standards for program evaluation for program accreditation as well as legal and ethical issues related to evaluation also will be discussed.
NURS 522 / 3 Credits
This course is focused on the nurse educator role in both higher education and clinical practice learning environments. Students explore various teaching modalities that facilitate critical thinking and clinical decision-making in learners. Emphasis is placed on the integration of theory and practice through practicum experiences of direct care and teaching in both the classroom and in clinical practice environments with application of evidence-based practice educational research for capstone project development. Nurse educator competencies are emphasized.
NURS 530 / 6 Credits
CAGS – Nursing Education tuition cost
Know what you are paying for with Messiah’s no-fee tuition. With our graduate programs, the cost per credit is what you pay – there are no hidden fees for labs, courses, services or technology. We put the true cost of your program upfront so that you can accurately compare and plan for your graduate education.
2021-2022 tuition per graduate credit hour: $725
Tuition cost for the entire 12 credit-hour certificate at the 2021-2022 rate: $8,700.
Next steps for admissions
Applying for admission to a graduate program at Messiah University is the first step to making your personal and professional goals a reality.
- An advanced degree in nursing (MSN, DNP or PhD) without an educator focus from an NLNAC or CCNE program or its equivalent
- The institution must also be regionally accredited by one of the following: Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Western and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Completed application
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in undergraduate nursing courses and prerequisite courses leading to registered nurse (RN) licensure and a baccalaureate degree in nursing
- Official transcripts indicating the degree earned
- Personal Statement of Purpose
- Three recommendations
- Minimum one year recent professional nursing practice
- Unencumbered licensure as a Registered Nurse (United States and territories)
- Proficiency with basic computer operations (download, upload, email, website navigation), Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and PDF files.
Early Spring: January 9, 2022 (8-week term)
Late Spring: March 13, 2022 (8-week term)
Before completing an application for any of Messiah University’s graduate & certificate programs, please read our Admissions Requirements to ensure that you are eligible for enrollment and to receive a helpful checklist of the supporting documentation that you will need to provide to complete your application. Questions regarding the application process may be directed to email@example.com.
New to Messiah University
First-time users will need to create an account to start a new application.
Returning users can log in to continue their pre-existing application.
Flexible. Respected. Faith-based.
What makes our CAGS unique?
- The academic distinction of a nationally ranked, accredited Christian university
- Messiah University nursing graduates are well respected and in demand
- Nursing faculty are experienced Christian educators, nursing professionals and accomplished scholars who mentor you in your education, faith and career
- Deferred payment options are available
- Flexible start dates